We asked AMAG, a participant in The Great Conversation in Security on March 5 & 6 in Seattle, Washington, to provide us an example of how organizations are deploying a platform strategy for integrating all the technology silos within their security program. They provided an overview of a case study in response:
Northwestern Mutual Combines Modern Access Control Technology with Top-Notch Security Officers for a more Efficient Security Program
Fortune 500 company, Northwestern Mutual, not only changed the Milwaukee skyline when it built a new high-rise and three-floor Learning Center, it also improved the way it delivers security at both its downtown Milwaukee, WI campus and suburban Franklin, WI campus.
The downtown campus consists of an area of 2.5 million square feet with five buildings, including the new high-rise, Learning Center and commons space, that bolsters a workforce of over 3,000. The Franklin (Milwaukee suburb) campus has an area of 1.1 million square feet and two buildings that hold a workforce of 2,100.
Faced with the challenge of disparate systems for access control, alarm, video, intercom and visitor management, Northwestern Mutual used the building project to upgrade their security program. The goal was to work smarter by automating manual processes and streamlining security using one system. With several hundred sales reps visiting at once for week long continuing education classes, managing those visitors was a challenge.
AMAG Technology worked together with an integrator to secure the company’s downtown Milwaukee campus and Franklin campus using the Symmetry Access Control – Enterprise System and Symmetry GUEST visitor management system, along with security personnel. Visitors check in quickly, improving lobby traffic flow, and the system provides an audit trail of who is in the building. The security team now works in a more streamlined fashion to deliver exceptional security.
- Disparate security systems
- Manage up to several hundred guests at a time without audit trail
- Control costs of securing new building
- Quality of security officer failed to meet expectations
- Symmetry - Enterprise Access Control system combines alarm management and all security data into one system
- Symmetry GUEST visitor management system and G4S Secure Solutions Security Officers at all entrances ensures professional operations
- Symmetry – Enterprise Access Control and Symmetry GUEST easily expands to secure new high rise
- G4S Secure Solutions (USA) Security Officer training and experience level corresponded to assigned post
Result of Solution:
- Symmetry – Enterprise Access Control interoperability secures both campuses, saving time and money
- Symmetry GUEST visitor activity data allows Northwestern Mutual to adjust staff as demand dictates
- Symmetry – Enterprise Access Control and Symmetry GUEST allowed Northwestern Mutual to leverage technology to reduce risk, streamline its activities and not add headcount when the new tower opened
- Security Officer qualifications correspond to unique needs of Northwestern Mutual
By choosing AMAG Technology’s Symmetry GUEST Visitor Management System and G4S Secure Solutions’ Security Officers, Northwestern Mutual was able to benefit from the synergies of working with one company for all its security needs. Symmetry GUEST allowed security officers to work smarter, not harder, and as result, no additional security headcount was needed for the new high rise.